Twinning City > Our sister cities
- The city of Ishikari has 3 sister cities, Campbell River, Canada, Vanino, Russia and Pengzhou, China. Close bonds of friendship connect the people of Ishikari and its sister cities across the sea.
The city is also promoting friendship with many other cities through art and cultural exchanges as well as exchange programs for children of various ages.
- Campbell River (affiliated on October 24, 1983)
- This city (population 30,000) is 266 km north of Victoria, the capital of British Columbia, and is known as the “world’s salmon capital” or “hometown of salmon”. It is also known as a Mecca for salmon fishing. In summer, it is thronged with tourists from all over the world who enjoy sport fishing. It became a sister city of Ishikari because Ishikari, too, is known as a “town of salmon.”
In Sequoia Park, there is a “torii” gate called “Ishikari Gate.” It was presented by the City of Ishikari to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the affiliation. Outside Ishikari’s city Hall is a totem pole which was presented to the city by Campbell River in 1993 to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the sister city relationship.
- Vanino (affiliated May 6, 1993)
- This city is 650 km northeast of Khabarovsk, the capital of the Khabarovsk region of the Russian Federation. It has a population of approximately 53,000 and an area of 22,000 km2. It is the third largest port in the Russian Far East, after Vladivostok and Nakhodka, and a terminal of the BAM Railroad. It is also connected to the Trans-Siberian Railroad via Komsomolsk-na-Amure. Both railroads lead to Moscow and Berlin.
Further prosperity is expected in this city rich in nature and resources, since it has the potential to develop as an international port in the future.
- Pengzhou (affiliated October 24, 2000)
- The city is located the Southwestern part of China, in the middle of the province of Sichuan. It takes about 40 minutes by car from the province capital, Chengdu. Pengzhou is a big city with 760,000 people and its history began about 3,000 years ago.
Pengzhou is one of the three major peony-growing districts in all of China, and a lot of tourists from foreign countries come to visit this city during the “Peony Festival”. Continuously, Pengzhou and Chengdu are caled “Panda’s Hometown,” so you may be lucky enough to see the rarely wild pandas at zoo around the area.
The Relationship between Ishikari and Pendzhou began in 1984, when we first invited an agricultural trainee from this city. In 10 years since then, 29 people studied agriculture, medicine and linguistics in our city. We continued an on-again off-again relationship with Pendzhou, and at long last, in October 2000, an Ishikari delegation consisting of 78 people visited Pengzhou and created the third sister-city affiliation.
30 years has passed since normalization of diplomatic relations between Japan and China, and stronger bonds and exchanges are expected between the two cities the years to come.
- Exchange activities with sister cities
- ■Exchange of high school students with Campbell River Each year, 4 high schools students participate in this exchange program, 2 Ishikari students in Campbell River and 2 Campbell River students in Ishikari for the period of one year.
Students who live in the City of Ishikari and are recommended by the principal of their schools are eligible.
Only one student can be chosen from each high school in the city.
To apply for the high school exchange program,
Students must :
*live in the City of Ishikari
*Be recommended by the principal of their school
One student from each high school is selected each year.
■Friendship visit of boys and girls (to Cmapbell River)
Every other year, children in the 5th to 8th grades visit Campbell River during their spring holidays. This program started in 1987 and is managed by the Ishikari International Association.
- International Relations
- ■Ishikari International Association
This section is undertaking activities to promote exchanges with sister cities and to support promotion of economic exchanges. It is also in charge of clerical works of the Ishikari International Association(Tel:0133-64-5931) that were established in 2000.
■Internatilnal Relations Section of Ishikari City